Fly of the Month: Pearl Jam
Created by Bob Dye, the Pearl Jam is a great fly in Cheesman, on the Blue, the Colorado, and other tailwaters.
- Hook: Tiemco 2487 or Dai Riki 135, sizes 18-22
- Thread: 8/0 white
- Body: Sparkle braid (pearl, red, green) or Lagertun flat braid
- Bead: Gun metal
- Start by placing bead on the hook.
- Then wrap thread from the bead to the back of the hook.
- Pinch wrap the sparkle braid at the back of the hook.
- Send the thread back to the front of the hook behind the bead.
- Wrap the sparkle braid in even wraps to the back of the bead.
- Wrap thread over sparkle braid and trim excess.
- Whip finish and apply head cement.
- Use a lighter to clean up any stragglers.
- Fly was developed as a flashier buckskin.
- Other variations include Apple Jam, Strawberry Jam, Blueberry Jam.
- Very durable fly.
- Great guide pattern.
Tied by Bob Dye. Photos by Tim Stechert